Sunday, September 05, 2010

Vegetarian dinners on a budget: beans and veggie taco bake

I spent the day at the Salon Marions-Nous where the beau and I checked out our options for our up coming wedding. We've gone from crazy lavish helicopter trip for a Grand Canyon wedding to hosting a home made bbq. It's looking like we'll be settling for something in the middle. Anyways, after basking in a sea of bridezillas, and their frazzled moms, I just wanted a home cooked meal and wanted it fast. This is what I whipped up (sorry, I forgot to take a picture, but I swear it was delicious!): my vegetarian version of a taco bake. It takes 5 minutes of prep time, and is ready in less than 45 minutes, including pan frying and baking time.

I used:

  • 1 can of mixed beans; rinced and drained
  • 2 cups frozen vegetable mix, I used the Italian blend from Cedar (it has lima beans!)
  • 4 6" diameter whole grain tortillas
  • 1 clove of garlic, smashed
  • 1 cup spicy salsa
  • 5 pieces of picked jalapeno peppers
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon zapata seasoning (blend of cumin, chili, salt and pepper)
  • 1 tablespoon no salt seasoning
  • 1 cup of cheddar cheese (I bet Daiya would be awesome in this)

Heat the oven at 375F. In a skillet, I pan fried in a bit of olive oil the vegetables until cooked through. I added in all the seasonings, and beans and stirred until hot. Set aside. In an oven proof dish that fits the diameter of your tortilla bread, line one tortilla in the bottom and spread evenly 1/4 cup of the salsa, 1/3 of the bean veggie mix and 1/4 of the cheese. Top with a layer of tortilla, and repeat two more times. You should have one tortilla left with some salsa and cheese. Add the last tortilla, spread the remaining salsa and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve with some sour cream, more salsa and your favorite toppings. The beau and I finished the whole thing, although I'm sure it could serve 4 with a side salad.

No comments: