Thursday, August 05, 2010

Wine and vegetarianism

I might not talk much about it on this blog, but I'm a big wine and scotch aficionado. I'm subscribed to Wine Spectator's great newsletter, and they posted on their Wine & Health Q&A a question about wine pairings and vegetarian food. I completely agree with the response and applaud them. Nothing irks me more than having someone automatically assume a white wine pairing when I go over for dinner and there's a robust mushroom dish on the menu!

When I switched to a vegetarian diet, I was really concerned about having to turn to flimsier red wines and lots of white wines. Luckily, I've been able to stick to my robust preferences with New World Cabernet Sauvignons, and Australian Shirazes (sp?).

I've actually been more interested in learning more about wines and food pairings and am considering joining some kind of sommelier training. I anticipate many challenges ahead for the non-meat eater that I am. What are your thoughts on wine, spirits and food pairings? Do you have any favorites?

No comments: