Friday, June 11, 2010

The Chicago Diner - Vegetarian Restaurant Review

In the heart of the Chicago gay village, this little restaurant touts itself as the best vegetarian restaurant in town. The menu doesn't disappoint, with their meatless variations on classic Cuban, Mexican, and diner comfort food dishes, like their half pipe sandwich.

The tiny diner style spot, certainly lives up to its name with the bright neon sign at the back of the restaurant.The tables and chairs are closely arranged together, and there's a row of booths on both sides of the restaurant. You can see the very busy kitchen, bustling away on orders. Sorry for the crappy picture!

When we got there at 7:00, we were informed of a 30 minute wait. We wandered over to the Kafka Wines, boasting a selection of over 250 wines under $15. I picked up a sparkling Shiraz (until recently, I didn't know sparking wines came in the red variety! I'll let you know if it's any good).

As soon as we came back, we were seated and served by a quirky and lovely waitress that took the time to recommend a good wine for our selection. The menu was fun, with a communist chicken on the cover. =) I like little details like that! There also was a table pop up stand promoting their Rabble Rouser coffee. Since it was already late in the day, I didn't sample the coffee, but I'm sure it was great if it's anything like the rest of the menu.



For an appetizer, my colleague and friend from Local Gourmet and I shared Black Bean Taquitos, served with salsa, guacamole and a type of creamy vegan ranch sauce? We were so hungry, I forgot to take a picture when the plate was served... So here's the one Taquito left (shown below)...!


As a main course, my colleague ordered Avocado Tostadas (picture below, dish at the top) on a bed of quinoa, and I had Tacos Al Pastor with faux pork. O.M.G! Delicious!!!!! I hadn't had any faux pork other than faux bacon and this, my friends, was da bomb! Even though I was full at the second taco, I ate the third one... *blush* SO GOOD! Even the vegan sour cream was fresh and delicious.


Even after being full, the waitress brought over the desert menu and I spotted the raw pineapple cashew "cheese" cake. I had to try it. It unfortunately won, but not before waging a tasty battle. :)



The Chicago Diner
3411 N Halsted,
Chicago, IL, 60657
(773)935-6696

1 comment:

Babette said...

This for sure looks like a terrific meal!