Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cooking with what's in your cupboard

I love soup. It's an amazing catch all for sad looking vegetables and any leftover grains and beans that would otherwise be insufficient to make as a centerpiece recipe. Thanks to my handy slow cooker and food processor, I whipped a vegetable lentil soup in 10 minutes and left it simmering all afternoon.

Vegetable Soup

  • 3 small onions, peeled and sliced
  • 1/4 cabbage, sliced 
  • 4 celery stalks, sliced
  • 20 baby carrots, sliced
  • 1 19oz can diced tomatoes 
  • Roughly 3/4 of a cup of green and red lentils, rinced and sorted
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable broth concentrate
  • 1 tablespoons sherry vinegar (amazing with lentils!)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons no salt seasoning from Costco
  • 2 tablespoons of Braggs
  • Enough water to cover the vegetables in the slow cooker
I combined all the ingredients in the slow cooker and brought up to a boil and then simmered for 4 hours. It made about 2 liters of soups, so roughly 8 to 10 servings.

For dessert, I made a berry and apple strussel pie - all vegan! I used instant oatmeal to make the strussel.

For the apple and berry pie,  I used:
  • 1 pre-made vegan pie crust - bottom shell only - I precooked it at 425F for 20 minutes, while I prepared the ingredients below.
Filling:
  • 3 seeded, peeled and diced McIntosh apples
  • 3 cups frozen berries 
  • 1/2 cup cranberry juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar 
  • 2 tablespoon Earthwise margarine
In a saucepan, bring the filling ingredients to a boil and reduce until it starts to get sticky and thick. Set aside. 

Strussel-like topping
  • 2 packets instant oatmeal - I used cinnamon spice
  • 2 tablespoon kamut flour
  • 2 tablespoon Earthwise margarine
  • 1/4 water
With a fork, mix the flour and oatmeal and cut in the butter until you have a very coarse crumb. Slowly add the water and mix until you have a cookie dough consistency. Set aside.

Make sure your stove is pre-heated to 425.

Add the filling to the cooked pie crust shell. Then spoon the strussel batter on top to cover the filling. You will likely not have enough to completely cover the pie. Cook for 20 minutes, until the oatmeal strussel is cooked through - the toothpick test.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Babette said...

Your soup must have been good. I've never tried soup in my slow-cooker. In fact, I've tried very few things in a slow-cooker.

Kathy said...

This looks yummy. I'm a vegetarian and it can be hard to find meatless slow cooker recipes. I am posting my recipes on my blog http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com. You might fine some that interest you.