Sunday, December 06, 2009

Blue Potato Samosa Pie - Vegan


I love Indian food, and chana samosas are an absolute must whenever I indulge in the pungent and frangrant cuisine of India. I took this recipe from the January 2010 issue of the Vegetarian Times magazine.

I modified it and used a pre-made pie crust (vegan), used blue potatoes and yellow Nataise carrots.

-1 pre-made pie shell, thawed - just for the top crust.
-3-4 medium blue potatoes, cooked and diced, partially mashed and set aside in a large bowl.
-1 medium onion, diced
-1 medium Nataise carrot, diced
-1 cup frozen peas
-1 cup vegetable stock
-4 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon mustard seeds
-1/2 tablespoon nigella seeds
-1 tablespoon ground ginger
-1 tablespoon chilli flakes
-1 tablespoon spicy curry powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon plain soy milk (to brush on pie crust)


Pre-heat your oven at 375F. In a large and deep skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the onion, garlic and carrots until the carrots are tender - about 5 minutes. Push the veggies to the side and toast for 30 seconds all the spices and seasonings. Stir in the vegetable stock and frozen peas. Add onion mixture to the potatoes and combine well. You can add salt and pepper to taste. In an oven safe pie dish, transfer the potato mixture, and cover with the pie crust. Brush the crust with the soy milk and bake for 50 minutes. Serve with a salad, some chutney, and raita. Delicious!

4 comments:

Babette said...

That looks delicious, and much easier than preparing samosas I imagine. I often buy a hot samosa at the Jean-Talon market, but now I can make it at home, that's great?

And I love blue potatoes, they are so much fun.

What vegan brand of crust did you use? I've always made my crusts from scratch, so I did not even know there were pre-made ones I could eat. That could be pretty handy!

Cassie said...

It's the No Name pie crust @ SuperC.
I'm not making any guarantees on it being GMO free though.

Kris said...

Hi! I came across your blog from Babette's and boy am I glad that she lists you as one of her favourites!

This pie looks absolutely delicious. I mean, samosas are delicious as is, but this pie is like a giant samosa. *eyes glaze over* Wow. Keep it up :) happy holidays to you!

Linda said...

Wow this dish was awesome.. I prepared it and then tried some here and there. I changed oil with Patan ghee and the taste got tremendously different... Thanks for such a good idea..