Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Scalloped butternut squash and blue potatoes

Scalloped butternut squash and blue potatoes

I had guests over from France and we decided to throw a typical thanksgiving potluck dinner with family and friends. I made a delicious casserole with blue potatoes and butternut squash. I did use dairy but you can easily recreate this using unsweetened soy milk and olive oil to build your roux and béchamel.

For this recipe, I used:

· 1 small butternut squash, peeled and sliced thinly – I used my food processor with the slicer blade

· 7 small blue potatoes, washed but not peeled and sliced thinly

· 1 large onion, diced

· ½ cup of non-bleached white flour

· 3 tablespoon olive oil

· 3-4 cups of milk – if using soy, add in a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast for cheesy flavour

· 1 cup shredded cheese (melting non-dairy cheese can be used here)

· Plenty of salt – taste and salt as needed

· Pepper to taste

· Pinch of nutmeg

I pre-cooked the sliced potatoes and squash in the microwave on the baked potato setting. Be careful not to overcook as they will be difficult to layer. Once the two are pre-cooked and cool enough to handle, layer them in a 9” by 14” baking dish. I did 5 alternating rows of orange and blue. Set that aside and pre-heat the oven at 350F.

In a large skillet, I heated my olive oil on medium high heat. I added in the onions and cooked until translucent, being careful not to let the onions burn by stirring constantly. I sprinkled the flour over the onions and stirred to saturate the flour in oil and kept stirring until the flour took on a slightly golden color. Then, lowering the heat to medium, I slowly stirred in the milk, 1 cup at a time, until the flour dissolved and sauce thickened. Once the sauce has a nice consistency with 3 to 4 cups of milk, I added the pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. I then poured the sauce over the potatoes and sprinkled the cheese over the dish. I baked it for 45 minutes.

It was a hit with everyone at the party!

No comments: