Thursday, November 05, 2009

Lunch Review of TribuTerre (Formerly Tibet Libre) NOT 100% Vegetarian

I decided to treat myself to lunch today and headed for TribuTerre on 2ieme Avenue and Cremazie. Under the Tibet Libre name, it was boasted as a vegetarian pizzeria, but they’ve changed their name, location and took on a broader vocation of being dedicated to all things fair trade and artistic. I was so excited to know that there was finally a vegetarian restaurant within reasonable distance from my office...

Although the new locale is gorgeous, bright and the live piano music is enchanting and service is decent; I left disappointed, still hungry and $18 short. To make matters worse, they’ve included meat items – prosciutto – to their dishes but still find a way to get listed on vegetarian sites. Sure they have “clearly marked vegan options”, it’s still misleading as you have to ask the stupid question you want to avoid in veg eateries if you just want something meat free: “does this contain meat?”.

The menu items are expensive, a lunch time table d’hôte at $13.95 for soup and main course – which was minuscule. The African Soup (sweet potato) was ok, but came to life with the salt from the foccacia bread. The spring roll – an anorexic looking roll filled with carrots and next to no noodles served with a funky tasting sauce - and warm salad – sad looking warm coleslaw with more sweet potato left me cold and severely over charged for less than 2 cups of foodstuff.

My verdict, don’t bother.

2 comments:

Babette said...

That's too bad... Tibet Libre used to be near my place and I would love the food and the people there... It sucks they even added meat items...

Kate M. said...

Interesting. I have TribuTerre on my Montreal vegetarian page – sounds like they should be demoted to "vegetarian friendly" at best. Thanks.