Sunday, November 15, 2009

Celebration Menu Ideas for a Vegetarian Thanksgiving


The holidays are upon us with Canadian Thanksgiving behind us and now American Thanksgiving this week, I'd like to propose some festive menu ideas for small and larger crowds.

  1. My first and foremost favorite is Tofurkey. It's amazing. I love getting the Tofurkey kit with the dumplings, jerky wishbone and mushroom gravy. It's so simple to whip up that you can focus on the sides that will make your celebration plentyfull. I've had many of my omnivorous friends that have been pleasantly surprised at just how good a mock bird it is. With its bread and rice stuffing and seitan/vegetable/tofu outer shell. simple, delicious, a great center piece. On its own, it easily feeds 4 to 6.
  2. If you are more of a do-it-yourself person, you can make your own vegan turkey roast using Brian P. McCarthy's recipe at Everyday Dish TV, it even includes a great instructional video.  I love this site!
  3. The next item is my "scalloped" squash and blue potato bake. You can easily veganize this recipe by using non-dairy milk to build the bechamel.  This offers enough sides for 12.
  4.  If you prefer a lighter side, the stuffed pumpkin with harvest vegetables could do the trick, and can also offer enough sides for 12.
  5. Why not serve a side of mock chopped liver, also known as mushroom pate? It's amazing served as little hors-d'oeuvres with some kind of port berry jam.
  6. One thing I always like to keep on hand when entertaining for the holidays is maple roasted nuts. Vegetarian Times has an amazing recipe for pecans but you can basically substitute with any kind of raw nut. I like to mix almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds and hazelnuts.
  7. In terms of beverages, mulled wines and ciders are always warming and festive.  Pick any wine or cider you like, and slowly simmer with cinnamon sticks, cloves, nutmeg, cardamon, orange and lemon slices for 10 minutes, then serve in sugar rimmed mugs and a long cinnamon stick. Add in some brandy if you want it to have an extra kick.
So what are your festive menu ideas for Thanksgiving? I'd love to hear them. 

1 comment:

Kristin said...

This makes me really happy cause I'm tired of the same stuff on Thanksgiving! I'm gonna to try and implicate this into my Christmas dinner. I don't know how well the meat eaters are going to take this...but I love the idea of having X-mas dinner be a vegetarian meal!!
xoxo Kristin from Bitchin' Lifestyle