Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Vegan 3 Mushroom Stew with Tofu, Squash and Spinach

I was in the mood for a stew on this first official day of fall so I looked into my pantry and improvised a concoction that turned out great. It was a LOT of stew so you might want to cut back in quantities... I served it with brown rice and some baguette.

I used:

2 packs of large white button mushrooms, quartered
2 large portobello mushroom tops, cubed
1/2 cup dried wild mushrooms, reconstituted in 2 cups of water
4 small red onions, quartered
6 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
4 cups of cubed potatoes - skins washed but not peeled
4 cups of peeled hubbard squash (about half a medium one)
4 bay leaves
1 package of tofu, cubed
1 package fresh spinach, washed
1 can of crushed seasoned tomatoes
1 liter of vegetable stock
1/4 cup no salt seasoning (Costco brand)
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon peppercorns
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
Braggs (soy sauce) to taste
Olive oil, enough to coat a large dutch oven or cast iron pot - make it big!

In the large dutch oven, coat the bottom of the pan with enough olive oil. Turn on the heat and cook the onions until translucent. Add in garlic and stir. Add in cumin, turmeric, mustard, peppercorns, bay leaves and give it a quick stir. Add in the mushrooms, including the reconstituting mushroom water and cook mushrooms down to about half their size. Add in the remainder of the ingredients except Braggs and simmer for an hour. Taste the stew and add in Braggs as necessary.

This recipe freezes well and am willing to bet tastes even better the second day.

2 comments:

Angelique from Bitchin' Lifestyle said...

I'm not a vegan, but this sounds great!

Angelique said...

I'm not vegan either but this sounds good for anyone! Thanks for the recipe. I love new recipes with tofu cause I really want more tofu in my life!
xoxo
Ange from Bitchin' Lifestyle