Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Pasta Bakes : Great Opportunites for More Veggies

Sorry kiddies, but this is not a vegan recipe. It's got cheese... Lots of it.

I love my pasta bakes. It's comfort food at it's best. I had read in a magazine or somewhere online that throwing in spinach in your pasta's cooking water was an easy way to boost the health benefits without the extra trouble. It totally worked. I just threw in a couple of handfuls of fresh spinach at the last 5 minutes of cooking and drained my pasta as usual. The spinach did not drain through the sieve but rather stuck on the pasta. I pan fried 2 cups of sliced button mushrooms and 1 diced onion to throw in with the whole wheat penne and spinach. I added in 6 cups of hot marinara sauce, and topped with 1 cup of grated rennet free organic cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Broiled to melt the cheeses.

Yummy!

No comments: