Sunday, July 19, 2009

Spicy black bean chipotle tomato soup

I made this soup today, after viewing Delicious TV's Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Soup video podcast on iTunes. I couldn't find any fire roasted tomatoes at the market, so I decided I would make it smoky with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to kick it up.

In my recipe, I used:

  • 1 can whole tomatoes - which I pulsed with my hand blender with juice
  • 2 19oz cans of Black Turtle Beans - drained and rinced
  • 1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped - depends on how spicy you like it.
  • 1 large onion, peeled and diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
  • 2 tablespoon cumin seeds
  • 2 tablespoon Zapata spices (ground cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper)
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil to cook
In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil and cook onions until soft. Add in the garlic, chipotle peppers, and spices and cook for 2 more minutes. Add in the blackbeans and stir until heated though. Add in the tomato and add water to taste. This soup will get quite thick so add at least 2 cups water. Bring soup to boil and simmer 25 minutes. Serve with crumbled tortilla chips.

No comments: