Monday, May 25, 2009

Rolled Oats and Chia Seeds - The Breakfast of Champions!

Ever since becoming keenly interested in what I eat, I've been struggling with the first meal of the day. Sure, toast with butter or a bagel and cream cheese is delicious, but it's not exactly the breakfast of champions. It's essentially starch with fat and although can be filling, it doesn't necessary pack a good nutritional punch either.

I turned to oatmeal and quite frankly, it's extremely bland on its own. I've done the instant oatmeal and ended up hungry an hour later. I've also done the regular rolled oats, where you cook it on the stove for 10 minutes in twice the volume of liquid (water, milk (dairy or alternative)) and that's bland too. Unless I pour in a good amount of maple syrup and cinnamon. That will keep me satiated for 2 hours, but not until lunch....

I've added chia seeds to my routine. What are chia seeds? Known as Salvia Hispanica, it's cultivated in Mexico and has been eaten since the Aztec civilization. It packs a nutritional punch with a high load of proteins, polyunsaturated oils and fiber. I use the Chia Goodness – Apple Almond Cinnamon breakfast cereal to complement my oats. By doing this, I delay hunger until lunch time. Hurray!

If you are starting with instant oatmeal, you'll need:
  • 1 cup milk (I prefer soy or almond), divided into thirds
  • 2 tablespoons Chia Goodness cereals
  • 1 pack/serving instant oatmeal
  • Add in sugar to taste and cinnamon or other spices to your liking
In a bowl, add in 1/3 cup of the milk and the chia seeds. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir contents to separate the seeds from each other. You should start noticing a slight glutinous texture. Add in the instant oatmeal and rest of the milk. Microwave another 2 minutes. Stir to combine and let stand 5 to 10 minutes to cool.

If you are using rolled oats or any other rolled grains - I like to use a 6 grain mix, you'll need:

  • 1 cup milk (soy, almond, dairy), divided into thirds
  • 2 tablespoons Chia Goodness cereals
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats/grains
  • Add in sugar to taste and cinnamon or other spices to your liking
In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil and stir in oats and seeds. Simmer for 10 minutes while stirring fairly often. It will tend to stick to the bottom of saucepan so don't walk away. Then let stand for 10 minutes to let the cereal cool.

Enjoy this breakfast of champions!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right about all the goodness in oats. But unfortunately when you microwave any food, all the nutrients are destroyed, so you are getting an "empty" meal without any nutrients at all.