Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy Spring! Vegetarian Barbecue Season is Upon Us.

Yes! Spring is finally here, despite a very chilly -7 degrees Celsius to the thermometer this morning.

What is spring for a veggie like myself? Well it means barbecue season is upon us, and this means plenty of great grilled vegetables as well as lots of meatless sausages, tofu cutlets, tempeh burgers and salads galore.

Salad dressings, the non-creamy ones make for fantastic marinates for grilling. I have a couple of stand by marinades I like to use. I use dry and fresh herbs for seasonings as available.

For my choice of grilling vegetables, I love zucchini, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and aubergine (eggplant). I've had moderate success with celery and carrots, but that doesn't stop me from trying. Potatoes take a long time to cook, so I like to prepare these separately.

Greek Style Vegetable BBQ Marinade
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 large pinches dried oregano or two springs of fresh oregano
Salt and pepper.
Half a red onion - pureed in the food processor (optional but oh-so-delicious!)

Combine well and place in shallow dish. Place your cubed vegetables in the dish and allow to macerate for at least 1 hour.

Go barbecue go!

1 comment:

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

Ooh, I like the idea of grilling with a Greek vinaigrette marinade. Thanks for posting that. :D