Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Mythical Beast: The Vegetarian Friendly Sugar Shack

Sugaring off is a yearly tradition in my household, where friends and family gather at a Sugar Shack and imbibe copious amounts of food and delicious maple syrup.

After being reminded by my significant other that the sugaring season is upon us, I decided to search online to see if I could find a vegetarian friendly sugar shack, to indulge in all the delicacies except for the lardy and porky parts.

Although I expected it, I found a lot of hateful posts on how going to the sugar shack and eating a kosher/halal/vegetarian diet is stupid/senseless/ and why the hell should we accommodate these weirdos...! Ouch.

I am not deterred by this, worst case scenario, I envision renting a cabin up north, armed with a gallon of maple syrup and other ingredients and make my own veg sugaring event.

But before I do this and singlehandedly send myself off into a sugar induced delirium. Does any one know of a good place in Quebec has a vegetarian friendly component to its menu? I can't imagine there is no such thing...!

I saw the Montreal vegetarian association does a yearly shindig, but I'm not in the mood to sit with a bunch of strangers for this family oriented occasion. I'll keep you all posted if I find anything in the mean time.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- UPDATE -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

I believe I have found sugar shacks that either accommodates vegetarians and/or only offers a vegetarian menu. Here are the addresses:

La Pause Sylvestre (no website unfortunately)
(menu végétarien, sur réservation seulement)
58, 11e rang
Dudswell, QC
8198280049
lapoteriededudswell @ sympatico.ca

Cabane a Sucre Sante - Randonnees Jacques Robidas
32, chemin McFarland
North Hatley (QC)
J0B 2C0
CANADA
8886778767

1 comment:

Sally Parrott Ashbrook said...

I've never been to a sugar shack, but now I feel like I'll have to seek one out when my life is more settled. It just sounds so delicious.

I think any of us who grew up reading Little House on the Prairie have a latent desire to take part in maple season in some way. :D