Sunday, November 16, 2008

The portobello mushroom burger revisited

I love mushrooms, and I appreciate them even more now that I switched to a vegetarian diet. When I have a craving for something meaty, they always do the job and chase away the meat blahs. I made some tonight for dinner and I tried a new variation on this classic.

I used:
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and saved for another meal, scrubbed with cloth and gills gently scrubbed off with a spoon.
-2 onions diced
-olive oil, enough to cook onions in non stick pan and to brush on buns
- 1 cup of cheese (cheddar, Gouda or Swiss is fine - look for the rennet free kind to keep it vegetarian) grated, divided in 4 parts
-splash of tamari
-2 splashes balsamic vinegar
-no salt seasoning
-salt and pepper to taste
-4 buns, lightly brushed with olive oil and toasted

In a non stick pan, heat some olive oil and fry onions until translucent. Add tamari, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and a few shakes of no salt seasoning. Continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Empty onions in a separate bowl and set aside.

Add some more oil to the pan and cook mushrooms with gill side facing down on medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Then flip on the other side and cook for another 4 minutes, or until the mushroom is cooked through. Spoon the onions into the caps of each mushroom and sprinkle with cheese. Heat through until cheese melts. Place on toasted buns and add whatever condiments you like. I like HP sauce. Enjoy!

No comments: