Monday, October 13, 2008

Tofurkey, mashed sweet potatoes and mushroom gravy

Thanksgiving dinner was a success! On the menu, we made organic chicken with a royal rice stuffing and for me, the only veg at the table, I had the tofurkey I mention in this post. I followed the instructions for the preparation, which was simple enough. Chop up a carrot, an onion and two potatoes and place them in the baking dish. Then create a basting sauce consisting of olive oil, tamari and sage - I added my own touch and sprinkled a good dose of paprika on it. Baste the "bird" with half the basting sauce and cover with foil. Cook in a 350F oven for 75 minutes. Then remove foil, baste with remaining sauce and cook another 15 minutes.

To go with the tofurkey, I made a sweet potato mash. I steamed two peeled & cubed sweet potatoes, one regular peeled & cubed potato and 1 cup of cubed kabocha squash. When the potatoes and squash were cooked through, I mashed them with 60mls of butter and a splash of milk. I added some barbecue seasonings to bring the flavors together.

I also made a great mushroom gravy. The recipe is on the tofurkey box, but I improvised my own. I used 4 large portabello mushrooms, cubed, one onion diced, which I cooked in olive oil on medium heat for a few minutes. I then added 4 cups of vegetable broth, a splash of tamari, a splash of port wine, fresh ground pepper and a big pinch of seasoning herbs. I brought the gravy to a vigorous boil and let it reduce for about 30 minutes. I then thickened it with arrowroot powder.

The meal was absolutely delicious. If you want something extraordinary for thanksgiving or the holidays, tofurkey is a definite win!

No comments: