Sunday, October 12, 2008

Oven roasted nuts and jerk tempeh...

I've been cooking a whole lot more lately, with this whole change of diet thing. Although the cooler fall weather always sends me right back to my stove and cookbooks, so maybe the diet thing is just an excuse to get me cooking again... ;)

Last night, after finding an assortment of raw nuts at the Fruiterie 440 on Sources, I decided to oven roast them. I have fond childhood memories of my father roasting fresh almonds in the oven late at night when he was starting his spice and nut import company in the early 80's. I found this great recipe in Moosewood Celebrates' cookbook for "Harvest Nuts". The recipe consists of coating the nuts in a blend of vegetable oil (2tbsp), maple syrup(3tbsp), brown sugar(2tbsp), a pinch of paprika and a smaller pinch of cayenne pepper. Roast everything in the oven at 350F for 10 minutes, then stir the nuts to loosen from the baking sheet and roast another 8 minutes being careful not to let them burn. Needless to say these roasted seasoned nuts are just absolutely delicious! I've been munching this stuff throughout the day.

For dinner, I did a baked cabbage casserole - not anything spectacular I'm afraid, some cooked wild rice and pan fried jerk tempeh. For the tempeh, I steamed it for 10 minutes. I then sliced the tempeh in two along the wide thin side to make two large squares. I then sliced the squares into two more pieces to make 4 rectangles. I mixed dried jerk seasonings with a bit of avocado oil and brushed it onto the tempeh. I pan fried the tempeh until golden brow and served. The tempeh saved the whole meal.

By the way, if you are in the Montreal region this fall, I strongly recommend you go see the
Sympathy for the Devil exhibit at the Musee d'Art Contemporain de Montreal. I saw it today and no pun intended but it rocked! ;)

No comments: