Monday, October 29, 2007

Tamale Pie Revisited from the Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates Cookbook

I read my cookbooks on train to and from work.. Yes.. I'm that one you see with her nose in her books, reading recipes like tantalizing novels. Today's commute was with Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates Cookbook. A fantastic assembly of vegetarian menus for celebratory events around the year.

I highlighted a couple of recipes I thought sounded amazing, namely the Tamale Pie. I realized I had most of the ingredients at home and did it. It was absolutely amazing. I had to have seconds, it was so delicious.

Here's my version of the recipe with my replacements since I was missing a few of the ingredients. I replaced the corn and the fresh green chili with hominy and a mix of powdered chlli and Chipotle Tabasco sauce. I also replaced the water with vegetable broth. The vegetable oil was replaced with Avocado oil and the buttermilk with milk and a tablespoon of rice vinegar. So essentially... A couple of replacements...

For this recipe, you will need:

Pie
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 15ml chipotle tabasco sauce
  • 10ml chili powder
  • 5ml hungarian paprika
  • 15ml avocado oil
  • 10ml ground cumin
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup stemmed and diced green beans
  • 1 cup cubed potato
  • 2 cups sweet potato
  • 15ml lemon juice
  • 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
Topping
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
  • 7.5ml baking powder
  • 2.5ml baking soda
  • 2.5ml salt
  • 1/2 cup canned hominy (I'm sure corn would have been a million times better)
  • 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 110 ml milk + 15ml rice vinegar
  • 30ml avocado oil

Preheat your oven at 350F. In a cast iron skillet, heat the oil and cook the onions, garlic, tabasco sauce, chilli powder and paprika until browned, about 10 minutes. Add in the cumin, sweet and regular potatoes, green beans and broth stir and bring to boil. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.

In a seperate bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, red bell pepper and hominy. Set them aside. Mix your eggs, milk and vinegar and oil.

When the mixture in the skillet is cooked, take off from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice, then sprinkle with the cheese and set aside.

Combine the cornmeal mix with the egg mix with a spatula. Pour over the vegetables and cheese and spread to cover evenly. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the topping comes out clean.

Serve hot. I added a few dashes of tabasco for an extra kick.

Simply amazing!

1 comment:

Jeena said...

Hi there you have such a lovely blog. Great recipe it really does look so delicious. I have a blog also here is my link Food Recipes

Let me know if you would like to exchange links. Thanks Jeena x