Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Mushroom Israeli Couscous Risotto

This was an improvisation from this month's issue of Bon Appetit. There is a recipe for an Israeli Couscous risotto using radicchio and squash. I was looking forward to picking up all the ingredients at the my local grocery store this evening when I realise they had neither squash nor raddichio. So I decided to do a mushroom risotto instead. Here's the recipe for my version for 2 people.

You'll need:

2 cups cubed (about 1 inch pieces) portobello mushrooms
2 cups stock
1 cup Israeli couscous
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 small onion chopped
2 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 dashes of veggie worstershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste.

In a dutch oven, melt butter in medium to high heat. Add in the onions, stir for two minutes, then lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add in couscous, and stir to coat with butter for 5 minutes. Then add in mushrooms and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the couscous is tender. Mix in parmesan cheese, chives, worstershire sauce and season to taste. Serve immediately.

Bon appetit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This dish was excellent. I have yet to master "true" risotto. I stir it too often or not enough and it never works so I was looking for a risotto syle dish that wasn't actually risotto. This is it! Great flavor and texture but most importantly easy! Recipe said it served 2 so I mistakenly tripled it for my dinner party of 6. I'd double it but not triple it and I didn't use quite as many mushrooms. All the dinner guests wanted the recipe and I will definitely make it again.