Saturday, February 24, 2007

Foul Mesdames - Traditional Egyptian Dish

Having an Egyptian father, I was raised on having this as breakfast on Sunday morning. There are as many variations of this recipe as there are families in Egypt. He used to make it with chopped hot peppers. Here's my version:

-1 can of gourgane / fava beans
-2tbsp of olive oil
-1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (he used white vinegar)
-1 diced tomato
-1 green onion, finely sliced
-1 cube (about 3cm each side)of feta cheese, crumbled.
-Juice of 1 lemon
-freshly ground cumin
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1 large pita bread, cut into quarters

Empty the can, along with it's juices into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Place beans with liquid in a serving dish. Sprinkle cumin on beans. Add tomatoes, green onions, feta cheese, lemon juice, oil and vinegar. Toss to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately and eat with your pita bread. I like to mash the salad in my plate and use the pita bread as an edible spoon.

That's comfort food for me. :)

1 comment:

ejm said...

I adore ful! Your father's recipe is a little different from others I've tried... I really like the idea of the diced tomato added for freshness.

I'm also very excited to see that your father is Egyptian. Because I'm wondering if he makes a dish I used to order EVERY time at a middle Eastern restaurant (run by Egyptians) when I was in that city on business. (Unfortunately, my work no longer takes me there)

It is a layered dish that included eggplant and peppers, as well as other vegetables, and was housed in pastry. The lady called it "charlotte". Does this sound at all familiar?

-Elizabeth

P.S. Discovered you via Kalyn's WHB. Thank you so much for dropping by my site!!